German lines in Switzerland
Use of DB Netz AG Infrastucture in Switzerland
On the basis of the International Treaties of 1852 et seq. between the Grand Duchy of Baden and the Swiss Confederation, DB AG operates railway lines on Swiss territory. DB Netz AG manages operations whilst maintaining Swiss sovereign rights.
DB Netz AG infrastucture in switzerland are located in the Basle, Schaffhausen and Constance areas. Detailed maps or an overview of routes can be downloaded by following the link on the right "Nutzung der Eisenbahninfrastruktur der DB Netz AG, Infrastruktur Schweiz" and then selecting "DB Streckenkarte Schweiz" or "DB Streckenübersicht Schweiz".
The following stations have border station status within the meaning of the applicable customs law:
- Basel Bad Bf
- Basel Bad Rbf
- Erzingen (Baden)
The legal provisions of the Swiss Railways Act (EBG) and the provisions of the Swiss Track Access Ordinance (NZV) apply to the use of DB infrastructure.
In order for an RU to operate over DB Netz AG infrastucture in switzerland under track access conditions, the following three elements must be present:
- network access approval from the Federal Office of Transport (FOT) in Bern
- safety certificate from the FOT
- agreement concerning access to the railway network with DB Netz AG, Swiss infrastructure, taking into account the General Terms and Conditions of Use of Infrastructure Managed by DB Netz AG, Infrastructure in Switzerland
The General Terms and Conditions can be found by following the link on the right "Nutzung der Eisenbahninfrastruktur der DB Netz AG, Infrastruktur Schweiz".
Services and prices
In accordance with the Swiss Track Access Ordinance, charges for the usage of train paths and local installations are raised in Swiss Francs. The charges for the usage of train paths are determined by the Federal Office of Transport, and are legally binding. They are calculated taking into account both basic and supplementary services. In addition, further services performed by DB Netz AG, Infrastructure in Switzerland, are added.
Basic services include:
- train-path usage
- energy supplied via the overhead contact wire
- safe and punctual operations
- time-restricted use of tracks in stations
Supplementary services include:
- the use of shunting routes in stations
- the stabling of railway vehicles
- water and electricity supplies for passenger vehicles in the stabling facilities
Further information on services and charges can be found in the catalogue of services, with the corresponding regulations for implementation.
These information are only available in German. If you are interested in the German issues, please click the link on the right "Nutzung der Eisenbahninfrastruktur der DB Netz AG, Infrastruktur Schweiz".
Last modified: 18.12.2014